Sunday, December 22, 2013

Mango Mousse Cake


My co-worker asked me to make a mango mousse for her daughter's birthday. She requested a 3-D dragon on the cake since her daughter's Chinese Zodiac animal is dragon. However, I was not able to do that because I haven't received my chocolate mold yet. Instead, I decided to draw one on the cake. 
I searched for a cartoon dragon printable picture on Google, and I found this - Spike the dragon. It's very cute and super easy to trace. I printed it out on a piece of paper, tape it on the back of a large baking pan, put another parchment paper on top and tape it in place. I melted some dark chocolate, trace the outline, and then filled the blank with blue and purple candy melt. 

Here's what I've learned: If you want to draw a picture on the cake, do "FBCT", frozen buttercream transfer for buttercream cake and use chocolate for mousse cake. Since mousse cake needs to be stored in the fridge, buttercream will be harden if stored in the fridge; another reason is that the heavy buttercream might cause the mousse cake to collapse, as you might know the texture of mousse cake is light and fluffy. Another tip is when doing the FBCT, I would recommend to put the transfer in the freezer between each step to make sure the different colors won't blend together. 







No comments:

Post a Comment