Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Use Silicone Mold for Fondant/Gumpaste



I use the Diamonds Onlay by Marvelous Mold. Here's an easy tutorial how to use the silicone mold for fondant. 



Tools needed:


  • Silicone mold
  • Rolling pin
  • Fondant/gumpaste
  • brush for dusting
  • cornstarch

Method: 
  1. Dust silicone mold with cornstarch
  2. Whack the silicone mold to get rid of the excess cornstarch, making sure the silicone mold is nicely covered to prevent the fondant from sticking.
  3. Knead the fondant until it's pliable
  4. Roll the fondant to your desired thickness (use a little cornstarch if it's sticky)
  5. Place the fondant on top of the silicon mold and press/rub lightly until it takes the shape of the mold
  6. Gently push the edges outwards to cut the excess fondant using your thumb.
  7. Then press all the edges inwards, making sure all edges are nice and clean.
  8. You can either flip the mold over to get the fondant out or apply a little water on the fondant and transfer it to the cake.
Let me talk a little about the Marvelous molds. I own a few of them even though the price is a little over my budget. Before I bought them, I watch their free video tutorials on their website, the results really convince me.  Anyone can make an awesome cake with these molds following the directions! Their molds are made with high quality food grade silicone. I can tell the difference by touching it. It's very flexible, softer than the other cheaper silicone molds, and has no bad odor. This is the first time I use their diamond mold, it's for my little man themed cake. I can't wait to play with the other designs. In addition, I will definitely buy more :) Great invention!

No comments:

Post a Comment